PurposeThe Society for Academic Emergency Medicine recognizes there are many valuable non-ACGME-approved post-graduate training opportunities for EM residency graduates. In an effort to promote standardization of training for fellows, this program has been developed for eligible programs to earn the endorsement of SAEM as an approved fellowship. SAEM has developed guidelines for training programs that address milestones in curricular elements, faculty support recommendations, and career development opportunities.
Fellows that complete an SAEM-approved fellowship are also considered by SAEM to have earned the standard qualifications and skills of an emergency medicine fellow in the specialized area of training. Fellows must enroll in the SAEM program and meet the stated requirements in order to be considered approved. Fellows will receive a certificate of approval upon completion.
EM Fellowship Approval Programs
- Administrative Fellowship
- Disaster Medicine Fellowship
- Education Scholarship Fellowship
- Geriatric EM Fellowship
- Global EM Fellowship
- Research Fellowship
- Wilderness Medicine Fellowship
Program GuidelinesThe below guidelines apply to all SAEM fellowship approval programs. Download the full guidelines in PDF format. Specific criteria for approval of your fellowship program and fellows is located above.
- The application fee is $400 for first-time applicants and $500 for renewals. Applications will not enter the review process until the fee is received. No exceptions will be made.
- The initial approval period is three academic years (July 1 - June 30). Renewals will be granted for five years upon review and acceptance of renewal application (view questions).
- On an annual basis, approved programs must communicate to SAEM any changes in fellowship program personnel.
- In the event of the departure or replacement of the program director, another review will be required in order to maintain approval status. The institution must submit a renewal application for the next cycle and will not be able to register any new fellows until the renewal application is approved.
- All current SAEM-Approved Fellowships will be required to submit an Annual Fellowship Evaluation (view questions) for each July 1 - June 30 academic year.
- Be signed up for a fellowship at an SAEM-approved institution.
- Be a current member of SAEM, and maintain membership in SAEM throughout the fellowship training.
- Meet the learning objectives in the SAEM application.
Registration - Research Fellows Only
- Must be a member of SAEM to register.
- Fellows enrolling in the SAEM Fellowship Approval Program must complete and submit the Fellow Registration Form to SAEM by the published deadline.
- No fee is required to register.
- Once the registration is approved, the fellow is enrolled in the program. A letter will be sent to the fellow indicating he or she is now enrolled.
Progress and final reports
- Annual progress reports are required from all registered fellows on September 14 (or next business day if the deadline falls on a weekend).
- If a required report is not received within 10 business days of the deadline, the fellow will be dropped from the program.
- SAEM membership dues must be up to date in order to submit all required reports.
- Submit the final progress report within two years of the conclusion of fellowship training.
- Final approval reports must be received by the published deadline with all required documentation to be considered for review.
- Upon completion of all required reports, and upon favorable decision from the review committee, participants will be determined to be SAEM-approved fellows. This means that the fellow has successfully completed a high-quality fellowship as determined by SAEM.
- A certificate will be mailed to fellows who have passed the program.
- Announcements of the names of approved fellows will be published in the SAEM newsletter and e-news after each cycle.
- Once the fellowship is complete, no additional steps are required of the fellow to maintain approval.