Marcus L. Martin Leadership in Diversity and Inclusion Award
SAEM seeks nominations for the Marcus L. Martin Leadership in Diversity and Inclusion Award. This award honors a SAEM member who has made exceptional contributions to advancing diversity and inclusion in emergency medicine through leadership – locally, regionally, nationally or internationally – with priority given to those with demonstrated leadership within SAEM.
Diversity is the range of human differences, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, social class, physical ability or attributes, religious or ethical values system, national origin, and political beliefs.
Inclusion is the achievement of a work environment in which all individuals are treated fairly and respectfully, have equal access to opportunities and resources, and can contribute fully to the organization's success.
The Awards Committee wishes to consider as many exceptional candidates as possible. The committee is committed to an inclusive process of granting awards, reflecting the full spectrum of diversity of our membership. We encourage you to nominate a diverse pool of candidates for all SAEM awards.
Award Nominations are Now Closed.
Nominee must be a SAEM member. Previous awardees are ineligible. Candidates are evaluated on their contributions and leadership in advancing diversity and inclusion in emergency medicine including (but not limited to) those related to:
- Development of educational programs to improve medical care for diverse patient populations and/or reduce health disparities
- Performance of research to improve medical care for diverse patient populations and/or reduce health disparities
- Participation and leadership in organizational efforts to improve medical care for diverse patient populations at the local, regional, national or international levels
- Promotion and attainment of diversity within emergency medicine residency and fellowship programs
- Mentorship and promotion of the academic advancement of minority faculty in emergency medicine
- Promotion and advancement of diversity and inclusion outside the field of emergency medicine
Nominations may be submitted by any SAEM member. Nominations should include a copy of the candidate's CV and a cover letter describing his or her qualifications. Each completed application must include the following:
- A current CV of the candidate
- A brief (1- 2 paragraph) biographical summary
- A cover letter by the nominator addressing the above areas and the impact on diversity and inclusion in emergency medicine (limited to 2 pages)
- While not mandatory, a maximum of 2 additional support letters may be submitted (each limited to 2 pages).
- A color photo of nominee (.jpg 300 DPI high resolution)
- Person nominating award candidate (include mailing address, phone and fax numbers and email address)
- Contact information of department administrator or media persons that should be notified if the award is received.