Established in 2011, the Global Emergency Medicine Academy (GEMA) focuses on improvement of the worldwide delivery of emergency medical care. Global emergency medicine is one of the fastest-growing subspecialties of emergency medicine, as evidenced by the ever increasing number of emergency medicine faculty members, trainees, and medical students pursuing international opportunities.
The GEMA Mission
- To lead the advancement of academic emergency medicine by improving the global delivery of emergency care through research, education, and mentorship.
- To enhance SAEM's role as the key international organization that augments, supports, and shares advances in global research, education, and mentorship in the field of emergency medicine.
- Research: Knowledge Creation, Translation, and Dissemination
- Mentorship: Professional Development
- Education: Advocacy for Education and Research
- Collaboration: Diversity, Community, and Service
Purpose and Function of an SAEM Academy
An Academy provides a venue for SAEM members with a special interest or expertise to join together in order to:
- Promote a forum for the exchange of information among members in line with SAEM’s mission to advance education and research in Emergency Medicine.
- Provide the SAEM Board of Directors (BOD) with the ability to utilize the expertise of an identifiable group on specific issues.
- Provide a forum for members to speak as a unified voice to the SAEM BOD as well as to other national organizations within their scope of special interest or expertise.
- Provide a forum for members to network, collaborate on educational initiatives, develop policy, perform research, and provide faculty development pertaining to their area of special interest or expertise.
Each SAEM Academy has a unique and powerful voice within emergency medicine. SAEM members who wish to learn more or have a greater impact in one of these specialty areas are encouraged to join our Academies.
SAEM Academy Development Guidelines
Download a copy of the guidelines for the development of SAEM Academies.