Medical Student Symposium
Thursday, May 14, 2020
8:00 AM - 3:00 PM
This forum may be added to your SAEM20 Registration.
The Medical Student Symposium (MSS) will include an overview of emergency medicine (EM) as a career choice and will discuss the residency application process for students with allopathic, osteopathic, international, and military backgrounds. This day-long symposium, presented by thought leaders in the specialty, will include specific discussions about clerkships, away rotations, personal statements, the match process, and interviews. There will also be ample time for questions and discussions during a lunch with EM program directors and clerkship directors. The SAEM Residency and Fellowship Fair, which showcases residency and fellowship programs from across the nation, will immediately follow the MSS and is part of the registration fee for this session.
- Determine if emergency medicine is the right career choice.
- Explore the training and practice options within the specialty of emergency medicine.
- Illustrate the process of the national residency match program.
- Discuss how to create the best application for success in the match.
- Highlight key components of a successful personal statement.
- Review the strategies to excel in EM rotations and how to complete and Away rotation.
- Be able to identify key strategies to have successful interview, including details about the Standardized Video Interview.