Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism in Medicine Award
The Arnold P. Gold Foundation has selected the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM) to administer the Gold Foundation Humanism in Medicine Award to a practicing emergency medicine physician who exemplifies compassionate, patient-centered care. The awards committee is committed to an inclusive process of granting awards, reflecting the full spectrum of diversity of our membership. We encourage you to nominate a diverse pool of candidates for all SAEM awards.
Status: Submissions open October 1, 2018 - December 9, 2018.
Previous recipients of the award are ineligible for further nomination for this award. Candidates may be nominated by any SAEM member and are evaluated by the Awards Committee. Nominees must be a currently practicing physician and a current member of SAEM. Residents and students are ineligible for this award.
Nominees must demonstrate at least five of these criteria:
- Compassion and empathy in delivery of patient care
- Respect for patients, families, and co-workers
- Cultural sensitivity when working with patients and family members of diverse backgrounds
- Effective, empathetic communication and listening skills
- Understanding a patient’s need for interpretation of complex medical diagnoses and treatments
- Making an effort to ensure patient comprehension
- Comprehending and showing respect for the patient’s viewpoint
- Sensitivity to the patient’s psychological wellbeing and identifying the emotional concerns of patients and family members
- Engendering trust and confidence
- Competence in scientific endeavors
The Society will also recognize the honoree in its monthly newsletter, on its website, and in other media where awardees are covered.
The nomination must include:
- A current CV of the candidate
- A brief (1-2 paragraph) biographical summary
- A cover letter by the nominator addressing the above areas and the impact on emergency medicine and patients (limited to 2 pages)
- A maximum of two (2) additional support letters may be submitted (each limited to 2 pages)
- A color photo of nominee (.jpg 300 DPI high resolution)
- Person nominating award candidate (including mailing address, phone and fax numbers and email address)
- Contact information of department administrator or media persons that should be notified if the award is received.