CDEM Call for Awards
CDEM has both the honor and pleasure of recognizing medical student faculty educators from across the country for their national dedication, innovation and achievements to undergraduate medical education. It is a great opportunity to reward our colleagues for the work they do. The committee is now accepting nominations for four awards to be given at the annual SAEM CDEM meeting in May 2018 with a deadline of February 28, 2018 for submission. The four CDEM awards are the Young Educator Award, Clerkship Director Award, Distinguished Educator Award and the Innovation Award – please see below for a description of each. Specifically, all nomination packets must include:
1. Letter of support from nominator specifying: Which award the candidate is being nominated for.
2. How the nominee fulfills the award criteria.
3. What is the relationship of the nominator to the nominee (Chairman, Residency Director, etc.) Self nominations are accepted.
4. Curriculum vitae and/or teaching portfolio of the nominee.
5. Nominations may also include other supporting documentation, such as a detailed description of curricular innovations, teaching evaluations, letters of support from colleagues, supervisor or students, funded grant or project applications, and publications.
The nomination pockets are reviewed and ranked numerically for each award. The deadline to apply is February 28, 2018.
CDEM Clerkship Director of the Year Award
This award recognizes an Emergency Medicine Clerkship Director that has made significant contributions to either a 3rd or 4th year emergency medicine rotation. To be eligible for this award, the nominee must currently be a Clerkship Director of a mandatory, selective or elective rotation and have served in that role for a minimum of 5 years. This award is presented at the annual CDEM meeting. The nominee must be a member of CDEM.
CDEM Young Educator of the Year Award
This award recognizes a medical student educator at the Clinical Instructor or Assistant Professor level and less than 10 year from residency completion who has made significant contributions to teaching and educating medical students. This award is presented at the annual CDEM meeting. The nominee must be a member of CDEM.
CDEM Distinguished Educator Award
This award recognizes a medical student educator at the Associate Professor or Professor level who has made significant contributions to and has demonstrated sustained excellence in teaching and educating medical students for 10 or more years. This award is not presented annually; rather, it is bestowed on special occasions. The nominee must be a member of CDEM.
CDEM Award for Innovation in Medical Education
This award recognizes a medical student educator at any faculty rank who has made a significant and innovative contribution to undergraduate medical education. This award is presented at the annual CDEM meeting. The nominee must be a member of CDEM.
CDEM Resident Teacher Award
The award is given to a resident, who has demonstrated skills and interests in teaching, as defined in the criteria below. No more than one award may be given per residency program, but it need not be given each year. Faculty shall select their program's recipient. Candidates can be nominated by either Clerkship Director or Residency Program Director.
- Demonstrated interest in teaching/precepting medical students.
- Demonstrated interest and excellence in teaching physician assistants, nursing students, pharmacy students, etc.
- Participation in a patient education or residency education committee.
- Peer teaching.
- Consistent quality grand rounds and/or conferences presented.
- Valued as teacher by patients and peers.
- Evidence of community teaching.
- Presentations given at regional or national Emergency Medicine meetings.
The resident selected from each residency program will receive:
- Recognition in the SAEM Pulse
- Certificate of Excellence as a Resident Teacher in Emergency Medicine
- Recognition at the CDEM academy meeting at SAEM18
Please submit your application at least four weeks prior to the date the certificate is needed for residency graduation ceremonies. While we realize that not all residency programs provide the full range of teaching opportunities that we have enumerated, we believe the resident recipient should fulfill as many of the criteria as possible to be considered an exemplary future teacher.
Nominations should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 847-813-5450.