SAEM Leadership Forum (SAEMLF)
Academic emergency medicine has an obligation to develop leaders who can manage complex organizations, innovate healthcare delivery and effectively improve the health of our diverse patient populations. This SAEM forum is designed for aspiring leaders at all levels of experience and academic rank interested in improving their leadership skills. It provides exposure to core leadership topics with an emphasis on experiential learning and practical application. Faculty presenters are recognized experts with extensive leadership experience in academic emergency medicine. Workshops, lectures and TedMed-style presentations are designed to be interactive, case-based, engaging, and relevant to participant needs. This year’s forum will cover core leadership topics such as: Developing a vision and applying it to your Leadership Portfolio; Engaging in difficult conversations using the “Language of Leadership;" effective communication, negotiation, conflict management, and leading change. We will also witness how emergency medicine leaders are altering the landscape of academic medicine nationally. It will also feature a panel EM leaders sharing the challenges and rewards of the leadership journey.
At the completion of this forum, participants will:
- Identify as a developing physician leader within and/or outside of emergency medicine
- Demonstrate the ability to articulate a personal vision and design your personal Leadership Portfolio
- Apply knowledge and skills related to the “Language of Leadership”
- Engage with national EM experts who are successfully “Leading through…” change in a new era of the practice of medicine
- Integrate expert and peer experience to analyze common leadership challenges