Thursday, May 17, 2018
8:00 AM - 3:00 PM
The Medical Student Symposium will serve as an overview of emergency medicine (EM) and will
discuss in depth the process of applying for an EM residency position. There will be specific discussions about clerkships, away rotations, personal statements, the match process, and interviews. There will also be ample time for questions and discussions during a lunch with EM Program Directors and Clerkship Directors, along with a panel of resident representatives of EM organizations (SAEM, ACEP, AAEM). The SAEM Residency and Fellowship Fair (which showcases many of the EM programs in the country) will immediately follow the MSS and is part of the registration fee for this session.
- Determine if emergency medicine is the right career choice.
- Explore the training and practice options within the specialty of emergency medicine.
- Illustrate the process of the national residency match program.
- Discuss how to create the best application for success in the match.
- Highlight key components of a successful personal statement.
- Review the strategies to excel in EM rotations and if you need to do a visiting rotation.
- Be able to identify key strategies to have successful interview.