To promote equal access to quality healthcare and the elimination of disparities in treatment and outcomes through education and research.
To enhance the retention and promotion of those historically under-represented in medicine and to create an inclusive environment for the training of emergency medicine providers; specifically using the AAMC’s guide “to unite expertise, experience and innovation to inform and guide the advancement of diversity and inclusion in emergency medicine”.
To enhance the professional development of all EM faculty and residents with respect to culturally competent medical care.
- Enhance the recruitment and retention of under-represented groups in Emergency Medicine.
- Foster academic promotion of URM faculty in Emergency Medicine.
- Serve as a leader in the professional development of EM faculty, residents and students with respect to culturally competency.
- Promote the concepts of access and quality of care for all patients.
- Minimize racial, ethnic, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and cultural outcome disparities in healthcare.
- Promote diversity of students, residents, staff and faculty in Emergency Medicine.
- Foster inclusive environments within the specialty.
Purpose and Function of an SAEM Academy
An Academy provides a venue for SAEM members with a special interest or expertise to join together in order to:
- Promote a forum for the exchange of information among members in line with SAEM’s mission to advance education and research in Emergency Medicine.
- Provide the SAEM Board of Directors (BOD) with the ability to utilize the expertise of an identifiable group on specific issues.
- Provide a forum for members to speak as a unified voice to the SAEM BOD as well as to other national organizations within their scope of special interest or expertise.
- Provide a forum for members to network, collaborate on educational initiatives, develop policy, perform research, and provide faculty development pertaining to their area of special interest or expertise.
Each SAEM Academy has a unique and powerful voice within emergency medicine. SAEM members who wish to learn more or have a greater impact in one of these specialty areas are encouraged to join our Academies.
SAEM Academy Development Guidelines
Download a copy of the guidelines for the development of SAEM Academies.